- Strawberries are a popular fruit to grow in your garden box. While they are certainly not too difficult to tend, you’ll have to take particular care to grow strawberries correctly. Typically, your garden box will have to be elevated. You’ll also have to make sure that you plant the bulb correctly in order for it to successfully germinate.
- Eggplants are nutritious and delicious vegetables that are easy to grow in your redwood garden box. With a supply of naturally-grown eggplants, you’ll be able to make delicious dishes like babaghanoush or eggplant parmesan.
- Home-grown lettuce is extremely convenient because you can grow large amounts for very little money. Buttercrunch, salad bowl, and bibb lettuce are popular garden box choices for home gardeners.
- Tomatoes are very easy to grow in your garden box. If you are feeling particularly enthusiastic about lumber working, you could build your garden box near fencing to allow the tomato vines a place to grow.
- For fresh-cut herbs everyday, consider starting an herb garden in your garden box. Herbs do very well in garden boxes when planted in rich soil and allowed proper drainage.
- This excellent website lists some of the factors that can cause wood to deteriorate over time.
- This article explains how ultraviolet radiation and other forms of sunlight can damage your belongings.
- Pests can take a serious toll on wood furnishings and structures. This article lists some common household insects that pose a potential threat to your belongings, from beetles to carpenter bees.
- Click on this link to learn some of the advantages of pressure-treated wood.
- This page from Oklahoma State University explains how wood is pressure-treated.
There’s a new tool you absolutely need in your woodshop, and the great thing is that you can download it straight to your smart phone. It’s the Woodshop Widget app, and it offers all of the wood-related information you need in the palm of your hand.
The Woodshop Widget app for the iPhone and iPad was featured in This Old House as one of the Best New Home Products of 2011. It’s not hard to see why, considering the app’s board volume calculation, shellac mixing aid, and squareness testing capabilities. Use this app to make estimates, compare wood species, and convert measurements.
Contact J & W Lumber at (760) 741-8776 for all of your lumber needs in Southern California. Since 1957, we’ve helped woodworkers, handymen, and builders get the materials they need to build decks, fences, patio covers, garden boxes, and more.
Having a garden box in your backyard is a great way to relax and enjoy the outdoors—but one of the greatest rewards is the variety of plants you can successfully grow in a garden box. These plants will not only look great, but will taste great too. Here are five plants that will do well in your garden box:
If you’re ready to start planting in your redwood garden box, then come to J & W Lumber. We carry a wide variety of outdoor building material, including garden box kits, decking, fencing, or patio cover kits. Visit J & W Lumber online or call (760) 270-9761 to learn more about our inventory.
If you've liked our recent blog topics from J & W Lumber check out these other great resources below!
What is pressure-treated wood, and what are its chief advantages? Do you know what factors can affect the durability of your wood furnishings, and how you can keep them safe from weathering and pests? Visit the pages below for more information, or contact J & W Lumber at (760) 741-8776 if you have any questions about wood.
Some types of wood work better than others as building materials. Be sure to learn about different possible wood choices before completing a new deck or railing. This video segment can help you determine if cedar is the best wood for your project.
This overview of western red cedar outlines the wood’s aesthetic and functional benefits. This cedar comes in multiple grades and colors. Plus, the wood comes with natural oils that resist wood rot and bugs. Overall, cedar is a great choice for homeowners who want a beautiful deck with low maintenance needs.
San Diego residents can get access to western red cedar at J & W Lumber. Call us at (760) 741-8776 when you consider adding a cedar deck or fence to your home. We’ll be happy to supply you with the lumber and other materials that your project needs.
Do you like J&W Lumber?
- 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday
- 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Tuesday
- 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Wednesday
- 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Thursday
- 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Friday
- 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Saturday